Monday, August 6, 2012

Tastes Like Chicken


Sorry it's been so long since my last post, I probably should have waited until AFTER my husband deployed to start this up!  I didn't realize the pre-deployment phase was so crazy.  Anyways, before he left I wanted to cook him as many yummy dinners as I could, and one of my favorites was this wonderful roast chicken.  I coated it in garlic, butter, lemon juice, and seasonings and roasted it in the oven.

Delicious Roast Chicken ~ Serves 4-5

1 3-to 4-pound chicken
1 clove minced garlic
2 TBS lemon juice (from either a fresh lemon or a plastic one, in this recipe it doesn't really matter)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic pepper
1 TBS chopped fresh parsley
2 TBS butter
4 TBS olive oil
Creole seasoning to taste (my favorite part!)
1/2 c. water or chicken broth

1.  Adjust oven rack to middle position, preheat to 500 degrees F.
2.  Melt butter, add garlic, lemon juice, salt, garlic pepper, parsley, olive oil, and creole seasoning.
3.  Brush chicken with a little of the butter mixture, place breast side down in shallow roasting pan.  Add the 1/2 cup water or chicken broth to pan (this is to help keep the smoke and splatters to a minimum).  Roast 20 minutes, then flip the chicken.  Roast until breast starts to get brown.  Baste with more of the butter mixture.
4.  Turn the heat down to 350 degrees F.  Roast the chicken for 30-35 minutes more until cooked through, basting it 2 or 3 more times.
5.  Pour the juices out of the chicken into the pan, and place the chicken on a cutting board/platter.  Let rest for about 15 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment